Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Reflection on Popplet, Storyjumper, Wordle

Popplet

Popplet seems like a very good source for teachers to use in expanding the classroom beyond school doors. Personally as an Early Childhood and Special Education major I plan on using this site often in class and out. I think it would be great to help students get a jump start on assignments and create classroom discussion. Another reason this tool is great is that the students can share information that others may not know yet and therefore expand a simple lesson into a great lesson with many inputs and views.
Colton did a great job presenting, he made it easy to understand and even explained ways to use this site that I wouldn't even think of. After his presentation I feel like I could go onto the website and create a Popplet with ease.
http://popplet.com/


Storyjumper

Storyjumper seems to be a very limited tool but yet useful. Personally I would like to create my own books to help with lessons in the classroom. If there is a way to share each story with one another in the classroom it would be a very useful tool. Students could create their own story or the ending of a story created by the class then share them among the class. Once this is done the class could talk about what stories they really liked other than their own and why. This would be a great way to get children thinking creatively and give them a sense of sequencing through a story.
The presentation was very good and helped me get an idea of the pro's and con's of the website. I still don't really understand how to use the site to its full potential but it will be investigated.
http://www.storyjumper.com/


Wordle

Wordle is probably the only website I wouldn't use very often if at all. The only ways I could even think of using this site would be to create posters or have the children introduce themselves. If the website had more opportunities for sharing and saving the finished product then it would be a different story.
The presentation was good for how limited the website is, I couldn't have done it much better. I got an idea of what the site has to offer and definitely got an idea of what the site lacks. If Wordle plans on being used more frequently they need to step it up and become more useful.
http://www.wordle.net/

No comments:

Post a Comment